This post is my solution to the wanderlust yearning. Use these posts to get a taste of a place you’ve always wanted to go or to re-experience a great culture you’ve already been to. This lush green isle, filled with great pubs and even better people, is one of my favorite places I have ever been! I hope you enjoy this window into a great culture and feel At Home: in Ireland.
- Guinness | A rich and creamy Irish beer famous for its smooth velvety texture. It can be found at most grocery stores.
- Cider | My favorite is the Traders Joes brand. In Ireland this isn’t just a girly drink and you can frequently find a cider in the hand of a burly rugby player at the local pub.
- Hot Toddy | A hot mixed drink typically consisting of whiskey, lemon, honey & spices.
- Irish Coffee | A traditional drink made with coffee, whiskey, & whipped cream.
- Irish Fry | A meal of sausage, tomatoes, bacon, beans, mushrooms, and eggs typically eaten for breakfast.
- Boxy | Irish Potato Pancakes. Throw an egg on top and it is an easy breakfast!
- Colcannon | A mashed potato & cabbage side dish usually made around Halloween.
- Irish Stew | Is simple to prepare with root veggies stewed slowly with meat in a simple stock.
- Seafood Chowder | Quick and easy staple meal of the Irish.
- The Dubliners | A folk band of five Irish gents that play tradition pub songs. Their pandora station is killer! Be sure to listen to the words of these songs because they are hilarious!
- Irish Traditional | A great Pandora station, with a large selection of Irish folk instrumental songs.
- The Swell Season | A folk rock duo formed by the Irish musician Glen Hansard. Passion and haunting harmonies made me fall in love with this band!
- Little Green Cars | An Irish indie rock band featuring five part harmony. I heard them for a first time, live in LA a couple years ago when they opened for the Wild Reeds.
- World From Above: Ireland | A thirty minute segment that features a bird’s eye view of Ireland’s southwest landscape and historical commentary of those locations.
- The Story of Ireland | A five part historical documentary series created by the BBC and hosted by Fergal Keane.
- The Irish Pub | A documentary of Irish Pub culture. The Characters in this film all run and own their own pubs that have been in their families for generations. It is their warmth, wit, and wisdom that we gain insight into the heart and soul of the Irish Pub.
- The Secret of the Kells | In this Irish animated film, a young boy in a remote medieval outpost, threatened by impending viking attack, is beckoned to adventure when a celebrated master illuminator arrives with an ancient book, brimming with secret wisdom and powers. Currently on Netflix!
- Brooklyn | This film tells the moving story of Eilis Lacey, a young Irish immigrant navigating through Brooklyn in the 1950’s. The initial shackles of home sickness diminish as a fresh romance with an Italian boy sweeps her up. But soon, her new found vivacity is interrupted by trouble at home, and she much choose between two countries and the lives that exist within. Currently at Redbox.
- The Wind that Shakes the Barley | Against the backdrop of the Irish War of independence, two brothers fight in a guerrilla war against British Forces.
- Feature your own work | If you have been before, set up a slideshow and look through your old photos! If you have the hook ups display it on your tv!