Remember the joy of the last day of school and the start of summer break? I sure do. But unlike my math teacher husband, most of us don’t have the luxury of a summer off. Even though I work full time through the summer, I still get that summer excitement when the weather warms up. But that anticipation often falls flat and summer seems to come and go without much notice. Are any of you like me? How can we still embrace the joy of summer when we are inside all day? Friends is it NOT impossible! Here are 5 ways to embrace summer by engaging all of our senses!
- Change your screens | We look at screens all day long – phones, ipads, computers and emails – but they all have customizable backgrounds and we can use this to our advantage! Set all of your screens to a photo that reminds you of summer. This way you will have little bits of summer all day long!
- Update your decor | There is no need to break the bank here. Get your DIY on and make your own watercolor prints, or fill your frames in with photos from the summer! I have small 5×7 frames in my kitchen and rotate the images in them every season with cards from Trader Joes! They have some really cute ones that don’t look like cards and they are only 99 cents! Grab some fresh flowers while you are there and give your home some color!
- Field Trips | We always mean to go on a fun summer trip but sometimes time just gets away from us! Get your calendar out now and set aside a couple days for summer field trips! Go stargazing, or camping, or head to the nearest body of water you! Be sure to bring back some mementos with you to decorate with! I have a vase full of rocks and shells in our living room! It is an easy, not to mention free, way to bring the seasons in doors!
- Playlists | This weekend take an hour and create a couple summer playlist for yourself! Make them with different feels so you don’t grow tired of them! I typically make (or find) one that is fun and funky, chill and relaxing, classical and inspiring, and one with just sounds!
- Environment for summer sounds | Place yourself in environments that sound like summer. Go to your local pool, hang out at the beach, or host a BBQ. While you are there take a moment and soak in the sounds. Try to be as present as possible in the little slivers of summer you can find.
- Audio books | Use your daily commute to your advantage and listen to an audio book! Choose a novel about summer or a place you have always wanted to travel to!
- Seasonal Fruit & Veggies | Change up your usual grocery list and add seasonal fruit and veggies! A short list of fruits are: Apricots, plums, cherries, blackberries, nectarines, strawberries, peaches, tomatoes, passion fruit, melon, lemons, limes. And some veggies are: radishes, arugula, cucumber, beets, bell peppers, carrots, zucchini, corn, rhubarb. I would encourage you to get ones that make you think of summer as a kid. For me those are blackberries, watermelon, pineapple, and cucumbers!
- Infused water | As the heat rises we should be drinking more water to keep ourselves hydrated. To make drinking water more fun and to encourage more consumption I add fun things to my water like cucumbers or strawberries. When I am feeling particularly tropical I add my frozen pineapple and mango as ice cubes!
- Summer treats | Make a point to whip up some summer treats this season! This is the summer to learn how to make popsicles, fresh squeezed lemonade or handmade ice cream!
- Clothes | An easy thing we can alter is what we put on our bodies everyday. I know it isn’t appropriate to wear cut-offs and flip flops to work but there are other, more subtle, changes like color and material. Choose colors that are fun and remind you of the ocean! Pick materials that are light and breezy like linen!
- Sun time | Find ways throughout your day to sit in the sun. Spend your lunch break soaking up some rays, or take a walk after you get home from work! If you are early to a meeting take a mini break and stay outside before you head inside.
- Windows | Nothing feels more like summer to me than a warm breeze whipping through my hair. Once the day has cooled down a bit, crank up the summer playlist you made, and roll those windows down!
- Candles | Are an easy way to engage your senses and draw out feelings. It is easy to stick with one smell you know and love but try and find a favorite per season. There are so many different options that are light and breezy, fun and fruity, or subtle and calming. Make it an adventure and go search for your favorite summer scent.
- Personal care products | When I started brainstorming for this post, my eyes were opened to all of the scents we use everyday- shampoo, conditioner, body wash, shaving cream, lotion, hand soap, perfume, hairspray and I am sure there are some I am forgetting! They give us so many opportunities to make everyday life smell like summer. Most brands offer varying scents for each product so keep your eyes out next time you need to restock! I totally get that you might have a signature permanent scent but changing one or two is enough to do the trick.
- Sunscreen | Now we should be wearing SPF all year round but the sun’s rays are especially intense in the summer. Even if I know I am going to be inside most of the day, I put a little sunscreen on my hands and my nose. Our hands are in the sun more than we think and this is a great way to keep your hands from getting aging spots! I also put sunscreen on my nose because it tans so much faster that the rest of my face… haha. Immediately when I put it on it feels like the start to a summer day.